Friday, February 24, 2012

Is Winter Wheat really that bad off?

During one of the breaks at the barley grower meeting held yesterday, there was some discussion about the winter wheat crop and whether or not our warmer temperatures and lack of snow cover to insulate the crop has had a detrimental effect on the crop. I have to admit that, as of today, I have not had an opportunity to do any scouting of the winter wheat crop but I hope to soon.

Here is some information that I found on another blog from a researcher in Wisconsin in regards to their winter wheat crop. Although conditions may be slightly different here, I would say that we are in a fairly similar situation as they are.

Here is what Shawn Conley at the University of Wisconsin had to say in regards to the winter wheat question:

"Warm weather coupled with lack of snow cover have prompted many questions regarding the relative winter-hardiness of Wisconsin's winter wheat crop. Though daytime temperatures have risen into the 40's continued night time temperatures below freezing have prompted wheat plants to maintain a winter-hardy state. Relatively speaking the WI winter wheat crop is at more risk to winter kill if we get a sudden and prolonged severe cold snap than in "normal" years however following my inspection of the Chilton variety trial site on 2/17/12 my overall concern is very low."

I hope to get out and do some scouting next week and hopefully I will find the same thing. In the meantime, if you have seen some winter kill damage to your winter wheat crop I would like to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment