Friday, April 27, 2012

Finally, the wet stuff has arrived

After a much warmer and drier winter than normal, our spring started out in the same fashion.  However, I am happy to report that much of Richland County is getting some much needed rain today and it is supposed to continue into the weekend.  While the dry conditions have allowed many farmers to get a really good start on seeding, there just was not much in the way of subsoil moisture to get those seeds out of the ground.  For the first time since I've been here (and I realize this is only my 3rd growing season) some irrigated farmers have had to use the resource just to get their crops out of the ground. 

As I said though, we are getting ample amounts of moisture and many of the crops that have been seeded already should be breaking through the ground in no time.  My guess is that we are about 1/4 of the way finished with seeding (that's across the board, not 1 or 2 crops specifically) and our winter wheat crop and the crops that have sprouted are looking pretty good.  Stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment